Below is some information on raccoons, if you are interested in raccoon removal services in RI, CT or MA then give us a call or fill out the form.
RACCOON IDENTIFICATION: Mature raccoons are 2-3 feet long and weigh up to 30
pounds. These animals have thick salt and pepper coats, ringed tails and black
"masks" across t heir broad faces. Their claws are extremely strong and sharp.
They are found i n all parts of the continental United States.
• Raccoons in the Northeast generally breed between January and March.
• Young are born within 60-65 days, usually between April and May.
• Females give birth to one litter a year consisting of 1-7 young.
RACCOON ACTIVITY/ DIET
• Nocturnal, the move around at night.
• They do not hibernate. Will den up for days in harsh weather.
• Sighting a raccoon in the daytime does not always mean it is ill.
• Omnivores, they will eat almost anything.
• Excellent climbers including, downspouts, bricks, trees, etc.
• Wooded areas, especially around water.
• Suburban and urban areas, a highly adaptable animal.
• Will live in attics, chimneys, sewers, and under decks and sheds.
RACCOON TYPICAL ENTRANCES INTO BUILDINGS (minimum hole size 4 inches)
• Chimneys, especially if the damper has been open.
• Attics and crawl spaces. Raccoons will literally tear their way in.
• Attic vents, mushroom vents, etc.
• Roofs. We have seen them tear through shingles to get into attics.
• The raccoon causes extensive and costly damage to homes and
• They are capable of ripping through the sides and roofs of buildings to
• Nesting inside chimney and fireplaces.
• They can damage insulation by their activities.
• Raccoons create toilets which over time can leak down through insulation
and stain ceilings.
• Raccoons susceptible to rabies and many carry a roundworm that is shed
in their feces.
• Exclusion is the most effective way of evicting raccoons from unwanted
• Apply prevention strategies. Installation of porcupine wire can stop
raccoons from climbing downspouts.
• They may be quite persistent, so trapping may be needed in conjunction
with exclusion. Trapping should be used only if absolutely necessary.
Get raccoon removal services from Pioneer Wildlife, serving RI, CT and MA. Best raccoon removal pest control.